Last modified: June 22, 2018
This policy describes the types of information we (and not third parties) may collect from you or that you may provide when you use our website and/or mobile application (the “Platform”) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
Please read this policy carefully to understand our policies and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, do not use the Platform. By accessing or using the Platform, you are agreeing that you understand and agree to be bound by this policy. This policy may change from time to time, as described below. Your continued use of the Platform after we make changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes, so please check the policy frequently for updates.
What personal information do we collect from Platform users?
We collect several types of information from and about users of the Platform, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, e-mail address, physical address, and phone number if you are using the Platform as a buyer or a seller, and also credit card and billing information if you use the Platform to make a purchase;
- That you voluntarily enter, such as body measurements, clothing preferences, and descriptions, that may include personal information;
- That you post on the interactive features of the Platform, such as comments, reviews, photos, and other feedback, that may include personal information;
- That you give the Company access to if you enable Shopify Payments to sell through the Couture Lane Sales Channel, including your product catalog, including product images, descriptions, prices, and shipping information;
- That is about you but individually does not identify you, such as the city where you live; and/or
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access the Platform, and usage details.
When do we collect personal information?
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us, such as when you register on the Platform, place an order, respond to a survey or provide feedback, or otherwise enter information on our Platform;
- From Stripe Connect if you are a merchant that has enabled Shopify Payments to use with the Platform; and/or
- Automatically as you navigate through the Platform. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, web browser preferences, and information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies. Although we do not correlate tracking information to individuals, some information collected, such as IP addresses, will be unique.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted”) on public areas of the Platform, or transmitted to other users of the Platform or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Platform with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
You may choose not to enter information into the Platform, but the services offered through the Platform will be limited because identifying information is needed to facilitate some of the main services of the Platform.
How do we use your information?
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To personalize your experience on the Platform and to allow us to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested.
- To improve our Platform in order to better serve you.
- To allow us to better service you in responding to your customer service requests.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey, or other Platform feature.
- To quickly process your transactions.
- To ask for ratings and reviews of services or products.
- To provide you with notices about your account and orders.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information or with your consent.
Additionally, we use, display, and transfer the data we receive if you are a merchant that has enabled Shopify Payments to sell through the Couture Lane Sales Channel to post your products on our Platform, obtain orders from customers, and send you information about your products that are ordered by customers so you can fulfill their orders.
How do we protect your information?
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. For example, access by a user to his or her personal information is available through a password and unique customer ID selected by the user. This information is encrypted through the Platform with Secure Socket Layer technology (SSL) and is also encrypted when it is stored by us to prevent unauthorized parties from viewing such information. All payment transactions are processed through a gateway provider and are not stored or processed on our servers. Also, we perform regular malware scanning of the Platform and all servers and computers used by us to support the Platform.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where you have chosen a password for access to certain parts of the Platform, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone and be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Platform.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to the Platform. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Platform.
Do we use “cookies”?
Yes. Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computer’s hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the site’s or service provider’s systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information.
- Help remember and process the items in your shopping cart.
- Understand and save your preferences for future visits.
- Compile aggregate data about Platform traffic and interactions in order to offer better Platform experiences and tools in the future. We may also use trusted third-party services that track this information on our behalf.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent or you can choose to turn off all cookies by adjusting your browser settings. If you turn cookies off, some features will be disabled.
How does the Platform handle Do Not Track signals?
We honor Do Not Track signals and do not track, plant cookies, or use advertising when a Do Not Track (DNT) browser mechanism is in place.
Do we disclose your information to third parties?
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
We may disclose personal information that we collect or you provide:
- To the merchant responsible for fulfilling any orders made on the Platform and the relevant shipping carrier.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business, including Shopify.
- To Stripe so it may process payment transactions for orders received or refunded by you.
- To other users if you choose to make your profile public, but the personal information shared will not include your address or billing information.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of the Company’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by the Company about the Platform users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an email address to use the “email a friend” feature of the Platform, we will transmit the contents of that email and your email address to the recipients.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
- To third party contractors in order to analyze Platform performance and user behavior and/or to improve the Platform.
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request or to report sales and other financial information to the necessary agencies.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of the Company, our customers, or others.
The Platform offers clothing and other products from third-party providers and so in using the Platform you may be able to access websites for these third parties. These third-party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax, or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
You have options in relation to the information and data that we have about you. To exercise any of the options discussed below, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’re an EEA user, you may:
- Access the information we have about you. We will make an effort to share this information with you within a reasonable time.
- Have your information corrected or deleted.
- Object to us processing your information. You can ask us to stop using your information, including when we use your information to send you marketing emails or push notifications. We only send you marketing material if you’ve agreed to it, but if you’d rather we don’t, you can easily unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing emails we send you, or by emailing us at the email address above.
- Withdraw your consent for us to collect and process your personal information at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect the processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- Have the information you provided to us sent to another organization, where we hold this information with your consent or for the performance of a contract with you, where it’s technically feasible.
- Complain to a regulator. If you’re based in the EEA and think that we haven’t complied with data protection laws, you have a right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commission in Ireland or with your local supervisory authority.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Information
In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person. If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
Your California privacy rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of the Platform that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com.
Accessing and correcting your information
You can review and change your personal information by logging into the Platform and visiting your account profile page.
You may also send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to, correct, or delete any personal information that you have provided to us or request that you be removed from future correspondence. We cannot delete all of your personal information except by also deleting your user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
Children under the age of 13
The Platform is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the Platform. We do not knowingly collect information of any sort, including personal information, from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on the Platform. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information immediately. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us immediately at email@example.com.
If you are based in the EEA you may only use the Platform if you are over the age at which you can provide consent to data processing under the laws of your country or if verifiable parental consent for your use of the Platform has been provided to us.
Couture Lane, Inc.
182 Howard St. Suite 844
San Francisco, California 94105 USA